AIA Melbourne Secondary Campus
Chess is regarded both as a sport and a game, which requires endurance and logical thinking skills. The aim of the chess programme is to provide students with the opportunity to develop:
- The understanding of the mechanics of Chess
- The importance of forward planning
- The planning and execution of different strategies
- The development of logical and progressively in depth thinking
- The importance of peer learning/support
- The understanding of the dynamics and importance of team unity
- The acceptance of diversity amongst students
Chess Club runs every Friday at lunchtime. Currently we have about 48 students in the chess club from years 6 - 12. These students come along to either learn how to play or to challenge others in chess tournaments.
AIA competes in competitions, particularly the Darebin region, throughout the year in tournaments; often against 3 or 4 other schools renowned for the chess prowess.
Click on the Facebook links below of our students competiting in competitions: